FOR LOCAL CRUISES:
How do I make sure I don’t “miss the boat”?
All Passengers must embark at least 3 (three) hours prior to sailing, please check the embarkation times on your tickets to ensure that you embark timeously. Please note that check-in closes promptly 1.5 hours before sailing.
For all WALVIS BAY departures check-in and embarkation closes 2 (TWO) HOURS prior to sailing and all Passengers not on board 2 (two) hours prior to sailing will risk missing the ship.
Which flights should I book to Durban to ensure that I arrive in time to embark?
We recommend that you book flights to arrive no later than 4 hours prior to sailing as any delays in the flights could cause you to miss the ship. Please check the embarkation times on your Cruise Tickets in order that you are at the port well in advance of sailing.
What are the embarkation procedures?
Embarkation begins at the time indicated on your cruise ticket. Check-in closes 1.5 hours before the ship is due to depart. (2 hours for Walvis Bay cruises)
On embarkation, passengers should do as follows in the order specified below:
a) Hand in your checked luggage. All bags should be labelled beforehand with the passenger’s name and surname, the name of the ship, the cabin number and the date and port of departure. Checked in luggage will be sent directly to the passenger’s cabin.
b) Go to the check-in desk with your passport/ID and embarkation forms printed on 2 separate pages (not back to back).
c) Go to immigration. Where ALL details will be manually checked. Please make sure all the information is correct.
d) Once on board a photo will be taken for your cruise card. You will receive your cruise card in your cabin. will be ready by 1pm
If I arrive early will I get a better cabin?
As all cabins have been assigned prior to the day of departure, no real purpose is served in arriving at the Port prior to the embarkation times stated.
Do the embarkation times vary?
Embarkation times do occasionally vary and are set and regulated by immigration officials and custom control authorities.
Are we able to have lunch on the day of embarkation?
Lunch is served on the day of embarkation and passengers embarking by 12h00 are able to enjoy lunch on board on that day.
How do I set up my on-board account?
To activate purchasing with the Cruise Card, Guests must either register their credit card or debit card, using the card reader on board, or leave a cash deposit at the Reception - Guest Service immediately after embarkation. Personal cheques are not accepted. The following credit cards can be registered onboard: Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard, Diners, JCB and American Express.
We also accept Visa and Mastercard Debit Cards, except for cruises in South America. Please remember to enable your credit card for overseas usage.
FOR INTERNATIONAL CRUISES:
In order to ensure a smooth embarkation experience, it is extremely important that you always arrive at the port with your e-ticket, including the embarkation form with complete and accurate personal data.
If you book your cruise directly with MSC Cruises, then you should personally complete the web check-in process. For cruises booked through a travel agent, you may ask them to complete the web check-in process on your behalf.
In order to issue the e-tickets, the following personal information is required for all passengers included in the booking: First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Place of Birth, Gender, Nationality, Passport or National ID Card Number, Passport place and date of issue, Passport or National ID Card expiry date, and Emergency Contact Information (First name, Last name, Telephone Number of a relative or friend not traveling with you, that we may need to reach Before arriving at the port, you should ensure that you have all personal travel documents required, and that all personal information shown on your embarkation form is correct. In the event of necessary changes, you can repeat the online check-in process in order to re-issue your e-ticket.
You can Check-in online in just 3 clicks:
1. Click here to go to the passenger registration form.
2. Enter your booking information. You will find a section dedicated to you.
3. Enter your personal and identification information where requested, then click Save and Confirm.
New embarkation procedure currently valid only for MSC Armonia, MSC Fantasia, MSC Magnifica, MSC Musica, MSC Opera, MSC Orchestra, MSC Poesia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Sinfonia and MSC Splendida (International Cruises).
Embarkation begins at the Check-In time shown on the cruise ticket.
Check-In closes 2 hours before the ship departure time. As a safety precaution, you and your luggage may be searched and any item that the Company considers a security risk for passengers or crew members (such as weapons, alcohol, food, diving knives, kettles, irons, drones, Galaxy Note7, etc.) will be confiscated and not returned. Firearms will not be accepted on board and immediate disembarkation will be required.
Main steps for embarkation (Click here to read about New Embarkation Process)
At the terminal:
1. Deliver your luggage to the designated staff, who will then have it sent directly to your cabin. All bags should be labelled with luggage labels (included in the e-ticket) beforehand with your first name and surname, the name of the ship, the cabin number and the date and port of departure.
2. Go to the embarkation area with your ticket and all personal travel documents required for the cruise, where you should show your embarkation form and documents to our staff.
MSC Yacht Club Guests will find an exclusive Check-In area and will be assisted with their luggage by the butler team at the terminal, who will escort them to the dedicated line for priority Check-In. On request, the butler will also unpack guests’ suitcases.
3. Proceed to the security control. Please note that, staff may confiscate any articles that could present a safety risk.
4. Proceed with your embarkation form to the gangways where one of the MSC crew will be waiting to take your personal security picture.
5. Go to your cabin and collect their your Cruise Card. As well as serving as your cabin key, this magnetic card can also be used to pay for products and services on board. For MSC Yacht Club Guests, it is also used to access the MSC Yacht Club area. In the event that case your cabin is not yet ready yet, you may begin your onboard purchases in the bars and restaurants by providing crew with your cabin number and full name.
6. Activate your Cruise Card for onboard purchases. (See the Onboard Payment Systems paragraph for further information on how to do this.)
7. You are required take part in the obligatory safety drill.
8. You should also attend the MSC Cruise Guide, an important presentation where they will find out all you need to know in order to live your cruise to the full.
Embarkation procedure valid for MSC Divina and MSC Lirica.
Embarkation begins at the Check-In time shown on the cruise ticket. Check-In closes 2 hours before the ship departure time, except for American ports, where Check-In closes two hours before.
As a safety precaution, Security staff may search you and your luggage and confiscate any item that the Company considers could risk the safety of passengers or crew members (such as weapons, alcohol, food, diving knives, kettles, irons, , Galaxy Note7, etc.).
All guests of the MSC Yacht Club (on board MSC Preziosa, MSC Divina, MSC Splendida and MSC Fantasia) will find an exclusive Check-In desk and will be assisted with their luggage by the butler team at the terminal, who will escort them to the dedicated line for priority Check-In. On request, the butler will also unpack guests’ suitcases.
On embarkation, you should do as follows (in the order specified):
a) Deliver your luggage to the designated staff, who will then have it sent directly to the your cabin. All bags should be labelled with luggage labels (included in the e-ticket) beforehand with your first name and surname, the name of the ship, the cabin number and the date and port of departure.
b) Go to the check-in desk with your cruise ticket and all personal travel documents required for the cruise.
c) After the document check, you will receive a Cruise Card. This is a magnetic card used for onboard payment of excursions, bar bills, laundry, in-cabin service, hairdresser, beauty centre, duty-free shops, photographer and service charge. For MSC Yacht Club Guests, the Cruise Card is also used to access the MSC Yacht Club area on board.